9.3.10

When stringy blonde hair just isn't enough

So I guess I sort of took a small break from blogging. I have been applying for a job (that I didn't get) and during the application process, I just didn't much feel like blogging. One of the things they asked me to do, was name the worst band in history. So I did. And it was OBVIOUSLY Nickelback. I'm a little worried that maybe whomever was reviewing what I wrote, was a big Nickelback fan, and for that reason I did't get the job. Or maybe it was just simply the fact that there were probably a hundred applicants, and with that many, at least a few are bound to be better than I am, albeit hard to believe. Anyways.

I think that I have a good appreciation for a wide range of music. I certainly do not hate everything popular. I’m not one of those people. I like the Killers just as much as the next guy who’s just too young to have appreciated Depeche Mode in the 80’s. But, that said, there certainly IS a lot of garbage on the radio. For whatever reason people seem to be drawn to crappy, overproduced music like T-cells to a pathogen. People are always flocking to bad rock ballads, scratchy, angry vocalists, and stringy blonde hair. I guess I’m narrowing it down at this point. I’m referring, of course, to Nickelback.

The WORST band in history.

Ironically, as deserving of the aforementioned title as Nickelback certainly is, they were deemed the most influential band of the decade by Billboard. If by “influential” Billboard was referring to the resurgence of chin length bleached blonde hair amongst angst ridden teen man-boys, or the rise of tattoo-esque designs on t-shirts and jeans with pre-fabricated holes—they might be spot on. But if this alleged influence was indeed in reference to music…I’m slightly confounded.

Who (artist wise) was Nickelback influencing? Creed? One can’t influence one’s roots. So who then? I would argue that Nickelback didn’t do a single original or groundbreaking thing throughout the first decade of this century. They provided no new sound, no intelligent or life altering lyrics. Simply a load of angst driven drivel, great for head banging and inspiring the consumption of Natty Ice.

You want an influential band? Take Radiohead, for instance. They practically revolutionized rock and roll. They created an entirely new style of music and a revolutionary way of distributing music. By releasing In Rainbows in 2007 as a download for “whatever people thought it was worth,” they were doing something truly influential. Radiohead made a difference by what they brought to music not by singing about joining the mile high club, owning a bathtub big enough for 10, or any other manner of cheap sexual innuendo. Thanks for nothing Nickelback.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

your blog hurts my eyes. just sayin.

Lesly said...

Amen
I love Radiohead. And Nickelback needs to die, well maybe not die but disappear forever.

julieb said...

most influential band?
for reals?
i cant think of one person that likes them.
this is blowing my mind.

karlee said...

i love the backstreet boys most.

Anonymous said...

Replace Radiohead with Sonic Youth, and you will be on the right track.

I like Radiohead, but releasing 'in rainbows' for free was tremendously arrogant. It was incredibly easy for them to do something like that because they all have millions of dollars. Making their album free was basically a slap in the face to artists everywhere who are struggling to pay the rent.

Cheers,

Thurston Moore

The Rookie said...

Coming out of blog lurkdom to say I concur wholeheartedly. And WTF, Billboard? Nickel-each-song-we-sing-sounds-identical-to-the-last-back? Really?