29.9.08

Trivialization nation

A few things. First, I have heard a few comments from a few women over the last week or so, comparing the horror of a kidney stone to a period. As though menstrual cramps were even on a level with passing a kidney stone. Let me just say that I have never seen my sisters or any other woman, for that matter, rendered absolutely immobile for a couple of hours, writhing, panting, and screaming in pain from period cramps.

I am not a stranger to pain. A few years ago, I fell 10 feet onto a pile of rocks and landed on my wrist, causing my radius to fracture and shift out of line with the scaphoid and the lunate. Translation; I broke my wrist and it hurt like hell. That pain however, was but a drop in the bucket compared to that wretched stone's fateful journey through my ureter.

Now, I am not here to trivialize the period. I mean the blood and gore, the sickness, the Always pads with wings, the cramps...I feel bad about that, I really do. Women sort of got the short end of the stick as far as that goes. All men have to deal with is being horny practically ALWAYS (and the occasional kidney stone.) I am not here to create a big male vs female argument, about whom treads the path most difficult. All I am saying, is don't trivialize the kidney stone. It is not comparable to a period, unless every woman I have ever known has an astronomical pain threshold that I am just not comprehending. Again, my intention is not to open up Pandora's box here. I don't want a million (and by a million, I mean all 15 or 20 that probably read this blog) pist off women ripping into me and calling me insensitive to the female lunar cycle. I just doubt that cramps hurt as much as a stone. That's all I'm saying.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I told you it's comparable to child birth... not cramps! Does that make you feel better?

Crystal said...

Birth hurts. You should have just gone in to get an epidural for your kidney stone. Not a bad idea . . . you should pass that on to someone . . .

Brady and Laura said...

Yeah, yeah, so its not as bad as a period. And you also don't get kidney stones every month either. But some girls DO double over in pain, vomit, and everything else, most are just lucky enough not to.
Oh and I bet it is like child birth. Try fitting a BABY through there.